Thursday, August 26, 2010

I think it was Authorial Indecision, in the Closet, with a Bad Haircut.

And now, because I cannot think of a single topic worthy of an entire blog post, how about a bombardment? 

1. I would like to join Inkpop.  I need to ask permission of my parents before I can join any site (family rules), and I know that if I asked I would most likely get a yes, but I've put off posing the question. 

Why?  Whenever I visit the site and browse the forums, I wish I was a member. 

But at the same time, I don't feel ready yet.  For one, I don't have a story that's in good enough condition to post on there.  And for another, I want to be sure that I'm not jumping into something that ends up being a drain on my energy and doesn't add anything to my life.  I've had enough of those experiences, and I want to break away from my habit of over-committing myself.

On the other hand, I would like to be involved on a site where I could exchange reviews and work on refining my craft without worrying so much about running into evil adult writers.  (And no, I'm not talking about stalkers.  I'm talking about adults with trashy minds who write what's in their heads.)  At least with a teen-oriented site there might be a little more quality control than, say, FictionPress.  (I have an account on there and was looking at getting involved, but as soon as I started posting on one of the forums, I looked around and realized I'd thrown myself into a crowd that might say adult things at any moment.)  

So... I don't know.  I'm still debating. 

2. Meanwhile, I have my little Writing Conscience in the back of my mind jumping up and down and screaming, "FINISH EM!!!!"  So perhaps my struggles in coming up with a brand-spanking-new story for Inkpop are deserved, since I'm being unfaithful to the story that really deserves to be worked on. 

("Deserves," scoffs the inner editor -- or Inner Ed, as I like to call him.  "Bah.  What a misapplication of a perfectly good word.  Or have you forgotten about the poor characterization, lack of description, contradictions, structural faults, boring chapters, unrealistic dialogue..."  And on he goes.  I can't wait for NaNoWriMo when I get to tie him up and lock him in my Trunk of Things To Be Stringently Ignored.)

3. Oh yes, EM?  Going well, if you can say that about a story where the two main characters just lost their wits and got in a fight without my permission.  Since from certain points of view character rebellion is a good sign, I'm taking it as such -- even if the 'good sign' does involve me hanging on for dear life and wondering where this is going to end up... 

3 comments:

  1. hey lovely!
    i tried Inkpop. It's really hard to navigate on there and publishing is a lengthy process. I'm not really impressed with it and deleted my account. Just letting you know! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Inkpop account is still floating around, because I haven't had the time to write more short stories. But I'm thinking maybe for school to try harder. I think my main problem with Inkpop is my own laziness to post. But if you think you can handle that and post often, then by all means, join. :) You could push me to get active again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh. With Inkpop, people won't read what you've written unless you read something of theirs (and most of the time, after you've left them feedback, they get on and say 'I liked it' and that's in . . . leaving me to wonder if they even read it at all). Or, they'll review you and then claim you have to return the favor, and if you don't they get mad. So, really, I dunno how much there is to get out of Inkpop; it seems like a system of favors and no read feedback. *shrugs*

    Up to you! I wish you luck with whatever you decide!

    ReplyDelete