My recent life (in a numbered list!):
1. I've been staying away from Facebook and Tumblr as much as possible so as to avoid any spoilers for the new series of Doctor Who. I'm one of the poor souls who does not have BBC America and must wait. Oh, the agony.
2. What I'm currently reading:
- Shades of Milk and Honey by Mary Robinette Kowal. Really enjoying this one, especially after listening to the author on Writing Excuses for a while. It's a Jane Austen-esque regency romance, only with magic. I do feel a little guilty reading it, since I've never actually read a Jane Austen book. (I've seen plenty of the movies, though! Sense and Sensibility, Emma, THREE versions of Pride and Prejudice...)
- A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin. As much as I claim to love the fantasy genre, I haven't read much of the 'classic' fantasy stories. I find myself drawn in by a vivid world and a masterful writing style. In fact, I think I would like to do a blog post on this book at some point in the future, because I think it stands in defiance of the 'rule' that in writing one must show and not tell.
- Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke. I haven't opened it in several weeks, to tell the truth. But, since it is the fattest book ever, I decided things would work out nicely if I bought myself a used copy and took it on a roadtrip. Take that, Kansas!
3. Not doing school is nice. Still trying to find a new mode of operation, but it's good.
4. What I've been listening to:
- The Midsummer Station, the latest album from Owl City! It makes me very happy.
- The soundtrack for the Broadway play The Scarlet Pimpernel. (Rather addicting. Not recommended for all listeners due to lyrics that hint at adult things, but nothing's perfect.)
- The NEEDTOBREATHE song Keep Your Eyes Open. Sort of my mantra for this season in my life.
5. If I'm a good girl I'll switch over to a word document after I'm done with this post and work on some outlining.
6. Coming up is the BIGGEST ROADTRIP EVER! (Excited? Me? Maybe a little bit...) New places! New things to see! New TREES! I plan on taking lots of pictures, but not so much that it keeps me from seeing everything. Also, I will probably knit a lot in the car.
7. ...knitting, yes. I've decided that from now on I will randomly make scarves and throw them at people. (Eh. Second part is optional. Still working out the kinks in the plan.)
Seven is a very nice number, so I'll stop there for now. If you know spoilers for Doctor Who, DO NOT TELL ME. Because you know, I am making scarves. I might just throw one at your head. You have been warned.