Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Review of Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley

Brave New WorldBrave New World by Aldous Huxley

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


This book was, in my opinion, a worthwhile read. I found the society Huxley constructed to be quite fascinating (and ominous, as it should be), and I didn't feel like the book had any 'slow patches.' However, those who read this book for pleasure should be forewarned about a few things:

1. It's strictly rated PG-13.

2. The end is sad and depressing - which is necessary the fully demonstrate the evils of the society. Just be prepared for it, and you'll enjoy the book more.

3. There are several faults in the structure of the book, the main one being that it begins with two main characters and ends tying up the story of a third main character, leaving the first two with mostly-unresolved character arcs (in my opinion). For this reason, I would advise that you don't get too attached to any of the characters you meet. Or you can get attached to them, but know that it does not end well.

4. The beauty in this book is the thought it inspires (and demands). If you don't plan to take even a little time to consider the issues, this book is a waste of your time.



View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. I've considered reading this book but haven't ever picked it up. But, seeing as how you have put in a good word for it I think I might, though I am not to keen on sad endings over characters left hanging. Hence why it took me nearly two years to read The End.
    Also, saw youa re reading Uglies. I had no intention of reading any of his other books, especially those, but then I read his blog and the interview he did on it and it actually doesn't sound like it is a bad story. You must let me know what you think though. 8-D

    ReplyDelete