Monday, July 11, 2011

Wings (Wings, #1)Wings by Aprilynne Pike

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


I think that this book did pretty well on what it was trying to do -- namely, be an engaging YA read that someone could get through in a weekend. I enjoyed it in the sense that there were parts where I couldn't put the book down. However, on reflection, the book just seemed rather...unimpressive. Pike has a great base concept, but that seemed to be the only complicated thing about the book. Everything else seemed a little cliche. I felt like there wasn't enough content for it to really be the first book in a trilogy.

Or maybe I've just been spoiled by reading Scott Westerfeld.

In any case, this book is definitely fluff reading -- and since I tend to go for deeper things, I'm not going to spend time on the second or third books in the trilogy.



View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. Haha I adored that book. But the amazing part about reading IS that people disagree on whether a book is for them. :) What are some YA books you've read and enjoyed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, right now I'm reading the third book in the Uglies series, which I've loved so far. I also love Westerfeld's Leviathan trilogy. (I CANNOT wait for the third book to come out!) So I guess I lean more towards YA with a sci-fi edge. It's strange because I actually haven't read very much YA, so I'm still getting used to how it feels. What aspects of YA do you love the best, if you could pick them out?

    ReplyDelete